Author Topic: Let Us Delete Our Own Threads.  (Read 182 times)

Cilantro

• Paw-o-Points: 14
    • View Profile
Let Us Delete Our Own Threads.
« on: February 22, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
All in the title.

I keep seeing stuff that is really frustrating on the forums. Others guilt tripping for their own 'failed' roleplays, dead topics being brought up again after the user who made the thread asked others to stop, etc.

It is very annoying to see that only moderators and up can delete their own posts. For the love of god let us delete.

Please.
Introduction - Ask Me!
Cil, Cilantro.

Since 2013 on Feral Heart OG

l3irdie

• Old Windbag
  • Administrator
  • Paw-o-Points: 100
  • A Pisces.
    • View Profile
    • deviantArt
Re: Let Us Delete Our Own Threads.
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2021, 03:33:05 AM »
I'm pretty sure users were able to at least self-lock some of their own threads, but I could be wrong and misremembering something.

Regardless, while I personally haven't seen this really happening as of late on our forum (on top of it not being very active), I can foresee it being more of a prevalent issue. We will take into consideration an option for people to self-delete or at least lock threads themselves. But I also think some of this could be fixed with "forum rules" (i.e forum etiquette) as a baseline for how others can conduct themselves.
Our forum will be undergoing some work coming soon, so I will definitely make sure the team sees this.
Thank you for the feedback!

𝐄𝐥𝐢𝐳𝐚𝐛𝐞𝐭𝐡 ⭐#0317 | muh bio | pfp by Ermartist / sig by ghostiesoot

Leda

• Developer
  • Paw-o-Points: 22
  • i just love garlic bread
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 05:03:46 AM »
(( just a little add on that we use an engine similar to proboards in that it just comes prebuilt to us!! we will look into it and see if it's doable/an add on or something!! but just in case it is somehow not doable I wanted to comment so you know we didn't just choose to ignore! ^^; ))
message me if you ever need help or have questions, particularly with map making!

DJYs

• Paw-o-Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 04:29:55 AM »
I wish I could delete my own threads. I mean I’m the one who put them there. If I can put them there then I should be able to remove them, it’s only fair and it’s YOUR thread.

BashfulWolf

• Paw-o-Points: 9
  • |~|Nameless, Accursed Undead|~|
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 06:37:30 AM »
Please, let this happen.
I've tried to delete two posts of mine (for character bios) because of major anxiety, and I hate that you can't delete them. All I could do was edit everything out, but my old messages when people would reply to what I said would still be there.

Vaynrat

• Patreon Supporter
  • Paw-o-Points: 53
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 05:27:07 PM »
Speaking as someone who has admin'd large forums and been a user on plenty, I'm very against this. The potential for a user to make aggressive or drama-mongering threads, then delete them before staff ever see the contents, are... uh, well they exist lol

If you need a thread deleted, you can always mark it as (Delete please) or even report/link it to staff and request for the removal of it.

I guess a compromise could be an option to "Request Deletion" button on threads, which then hides the thread temporarily while the staff review your request. That way if someone is trying to use the delete option as a means of causing Problems, they... well, can't. The staff would need to approve and finalize thread deletion. :B
Icon by Raz/Draak (TEFc)

Leda

• Developer
  • Paw-o-Points: 22
  • i just love garlic bread
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2021, 10:30:24 PM »
Thank you for the feedback and I think being able to hide and request deletion sounds great. We will be scrapping this forum and it's broken login system so I will try to look into the coding needed for this on the future forum. I'm sure there's SOMETHING on it... Stay tuned
message me if you ever need help or have questions, particularly with map making!

Kastilla

• Paw-o-Points: 2
  • stimky dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2021, 11:18:02 PM »
Speaking as someone who has admin'd large forums and been a user on plenty, I'm very against this. The potential for a user to make aggressive or drama-mongering threads, then delete them before staff ever see the contents, are... uh, well they exist lol

If you need a thread deleted, you can always mark it as (Delete please) or even report/link it to staff and request for the removal of it.

I guess a compromise could be an option to "Request Deletion" button on threads, which then hides the thread temporarily while the staff review your request. That way if someone is trying to use the delete option as a means of causing Problems, they... well, can't. The staff would need to approve and finalize thread deletion. :B
I agree with this, just as a precaution. Requesting a deletion sounds better IMO, anyway.

Thank you for the feedback and I think being able to hide and request deletion sounds great. We will be scrapping this forum and it's broken login system so I will try to look into the coding needed for this on the future forum. I'm sure there's SOMETHING on it... Stay tuned
Scrapping the forum? Will there be a brand new forum system attached to the site? You literally answered that question already, oopsies.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2021, 11:19:40 PM by Kastilla »
Member of the FeralHeart community since 2011

BashfulWolf

• Paw-o-Points: 9
  • |~|Nameless, Accursed Undead|~|
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2021, 12:55:41 AM »

I would prefer a "Request Deletion" rather than full on deleting it without staff being able to see it.
I've tried marking unwanted threads as "delete" before on different sites but they were taken down after a long while, and some sites only had the report thread option as the only way of deleting it.
An actual option for it would be highly appreciated <3

Jango_Fett

• Paw-o-Points: 5
  • god,
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2021, 08:37:29 AM »
request deletion or simply cease existing

avatar by perennial astronaut xoxo