Author Topic: Safety Improvements  (Read 156 times)

Lolzcupcake

• Patreon Supporter
  • Paw-o-Points: 5
  • Bakugou Simp
    • View Profile
Safety Improvements
« on: February 12, 2021, 10:52:50 PM »
So I was chatting on the FHN discord, and a topic of safety came up. So I wanted share one of mine that I think could use a bit of an update. Feel free to add your own! ^.^

Presets:
- Theft, its way too easy for someone to copy your character and use it themselves.
- Downloading, very sketchy. You have to follow an unknown link, join a discord, or give personal info to get a file.
- Content of the preset. The preset its self could be something that goes against guidelines of the game.

So what I have as a suggestion is, have some way a preset gets uploaded to the game and everyone can see it right away. This will help with all three of these issues. How?

So for theft, if they aren't able to hide by not giving out the download link. This should lower theft.

While I know this has some holes, like private maps, it should help, at least a little. The only other way to fight this is have some sort of viewing data system for everyone to see. Kinda like a preset showcase. You see the design and username that it is linked to. In theory this should also help with presets that go against FHU guidelines.

For the downloading issue both systems will get ride of it completely, no more tinyurls that you hope goes to what you want. No joining discord groups that could have adult content our younger players shouldn't get exposed to, and no sharing emails, discord names, or socials to send or get the files.   

Esarosa

• Paw-o-Points: 11
  • A member of FeralHeart since 2011 ☆
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
Re: Safety Improvements
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2021, 10:29:04 AM »
I think this is a nice idea!

Preset theft is definitely something that can happen unfortunately. I would love to see some sort of system implemented to battle this and prevent it from happening. Love to see the thoughts you've put into your post. <3
Floating in and out here. ♡

Leda

• Developer
  • Paw-o-Points: 22
  • i just love garlic bread
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2021, 05:10:04 AM »
We've definitely considered a system in which presets are just immediately imported to some sort of cloud, the issue is that we only have one coder, and this would require people to install memory that they wouldn't ever really use or see.  By this I mean, some people exclusively will want to RP in one map or in only private maps.  They'll probably only need to see a select few presets, but their game is instead absorbing whatever is uploaded.  It could maybe a possibility that presets are only rendered and downloaded in when the character enters the map, but there comes our problem of just one coder. ):

That said, it may not change anytime soon unfortunately, but we certainly agree that FH mods and obtaining them are somewhat sketchy in nature.  Our hope is that we will have a team of people scanning new links on the forum and ensuring nothing malicious slips in.  It would be a good idea to have a thread open on suspicious files, what to do if a file is flagged by anti-virus, what files should be in a preset download, etc so people are fully aware and know when to report.  Keeping people informed and making sure links are being checked by an active staff team is the best we can offer for now, but easier preset-uploading is certainly on the list of needed improvements!

message me if you ever need help or have questions, particularly with map making!

Lolzcupcake

• Patreon Supporter
  • Paw-o-Points: 5
  • Bakugou Simp
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2021, 05:14:10 PM »
Thank you for the feed back! I know its a huge step in the games coding, but looking ahead into the future is never a bad thing. Maybe one day we can see a master plan the team has for us 😊